If you have low search traffic in general, take a look at our guide on getting indexed properly on Google.
Local search is huge and it’s not going away anytime soon. Everyone has a GPS device in their pocket that gives Google valuable information outside of search queries. When someone types in “flower shop” on their phone, search engines are able to show the closest flowers shops. Getting your business on Google Maps with the correct data is critical to showing up for these local queries.
What to do if your business isn’t on Google Maps.
Here’s what you need to do if you’re business isn’t showing up on Google Maps at all:
- Go to this page to add a business to Google Maps. You need to have a Gmail / Google email account.
- Search for your business name.
- You’ll see an option that says “this doesn’t match, add a business” under the search query results.
- Fill out your business location information.
- You’ll be asked to link your information to a Google Plus page, or create one if you don’t have one.
- After completing the registration steps, Google will snail mail you an authorization code. You’ll need to enter this code into your Google Plus page to link to your map listing.
What to do if your business is listed on Google Maps with the wrong information.
Having consistent name, address and phone number listings (NAP) is important for getting your website ranked on search engines locally. If your business is showing up on Google Maps but has the wrong information you can submit an edit request.
Google Maps lets you submit changes to business information directly from the search window.
You can also submit edit request to your Google Plus page that is linked to your Google Maps listing.
How to get multiple business locations on Google Maps and manage their store information.
For nationwide businesses or even local businesses with multiple locations, it can be a pain managing all those business listings on Google Maps. For multi-location businesses in competitive markets, a tool like Yext or Moz Local will be critical to getting and maintaining positions on Google Maps. It’s not a replacement for developing local content for search, but it is helpful.
A quick overview of Moz Local, local citation tool
It’s a paid service that gives you one place to modify all your listings. At the time of this post, the service is $84 / year per location. This may sound pricey, but it really does save time and submits your business information to multiple local directories.