Save time by searching Google Drive files right from your Chrome search bar.
Over the years I’ve migrated the majority of my files to Google Drive. It’s not uncommon for me to have multiple drive tabs open in multiple windows to navigate a variety of client projects. In an effort to de-clutter, I found a really helpful tip that lets you search Google Drive files directly from your search bar. Here’s a quick video I put together showing you how to do it, hope you find it helpful.
Why this is useful
It can be a pain having all your Chrome tabs open with different Google Drive folders. By setting up Chrome to allow direct searching of Google Drive, you’re making it way easier on yourself and your computer. Even with a fast laptop, you’ll still end up having too many tabs open and maxing out your RAM. This little trick keeps things nice and neat and let’s you have direct access to the files you need.
Hey guy’s what’s up it’s Graham with GainTap. I’m going to show you guy’s something cool really quick, how to search Google Drive from the search bar in Chrome. You have to make an update to Chrome really quickly, but after that it’s easy.
- Log into Chrome and go to the top right corner click the three horizontal lines to pull up the Chrome menu.
- Go down to settings, scroll down and click manage search engines under the Search heading.
- Scroll to the very bottom you’re going to see three fields.
- Paste this into the far right box: https://drive.google.com/?hl=en&tab=bo#search/%s
- Now, put your keyword in that’s going to trigger the Chrome bar Drive search in the middle field. You can just do Drive for simplicity. When you type this in an empty Google Chrome search bar and hit space, you’ll be search Google Drive.
- Now give it a name in the left field, we’re going to call this Drive.
- Go ahead and save this.
Now you can immediately start searching in the Chrome search bar, you don’t have to restart or anything. I made a little test document, let’s give it a try. And look at that, that’s pretty cool. If you have any questions, please let me know.